Monday, October 29, 2012

We're being cooked!

So wow y'all are enjoying the wonderful fall weather, I feel like we've been thrown into a fiery furnace! Sister T really doesn't like the heat or sun, so I just joke with her that it is the baking part it the last step in the recipe for a successful mission. Just a little crispy on the edges! Poor thing, she burns really easily...I on the other hand, am turning Brazilian :) (Or so I like to think ha ha).
Interestingly enough, this week seemed to be a pretty rough week as it was going, but when we stopped to take a look back at all that happened, we were quite amazed at how much the Lord has blessed us! We are working with many couples that need to get married. Never in my life have I felt so strongly about the importance of marriage. It truly is a commandment of God. There is no exception. Just living together doesn't make you husband and wife! Ah! But I'm really learning a ton about the importance of the Gospel in marriages. There really is no substitute. We need to base our family relationships on the principles of the gospel--especially love, patience, faith, repentance, forgiveness, prayer, communication, selflessness, equality, etc. We can see a huge difference in the lives of those that we teach that are trying to apply the gospel in their marriage, and the others where the relationship is unbalanced and only on is trying to do what's right. I'm so grateful for the gospel and the teachings of the Savior that help us to be more united with our families.
We are teaching one couple who are really interested in the truth and just want to follow the Savior. She is super sincere in her faith and desire to follow Christ and really wants to pray to know.
I had a great experience teaching a recent convert this week that always goes out and teaches us and seems to be really active. At first I didn't know what her needs were--it seems like she's great on everything. So I said a prayer in my heart that I would know what she needed to hear. I felt I should ask her if she had any doubts on the commandments, especially tithing.Well come to find out there was quite a bit of confusion--she and her sisters were each paying 50% an putting it together under one name. She was so relieved when we told her it was only 10%! I know that tithing is a principle of faith and that the Lord asks nothing more and nothing less. I'm so grateful for this principle.
Another couple that we are working with . l is a sweetheart that really wants to do things right and get married and be baptized, but her husband isn't even there...well this week we taught her about repentance and we heard her bear her testimony of the Book of Momon to her husband about how it is blessing her life. She doesn't have desire to do bad things any more and she even deleted all of her horrible "funky" music. I love how the Book of Mormon changes people, it never ceases to amaze me!
Stay strong. Don't run faster than you have strength. Read the scriptures daily. Don't forget to pray. Do something special for someone in your family EVERYday this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment